Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Our First Egg

I have been checking the coop everyday for the last 3 weeks looking for eggs. From what I have ready the earliest you could see one is 12 weeks but 16 to 24 weeks is usually the norm. My chickens are 15 weeks today and we finally got an egg.

I had also read that you can tell when a hen is getting ready to lay because her comb will turn from pink to red. One of our chicks "Benelli" had been acting a little weird and her comb was bright red so I new something was going to happen. She laid this egg on 7/6. There is another chicken named thumbalina(can you guys who named this one?) who I think laid our second egg the next day. Her comb was also red and this second egg was in the left nesting box and "nelli's" eggs have been on the right. I am just guessing that they prefer one nesting box over the other. As of today we are up to 5 eggs over the last 7 days and I would say that is pretty good considering I think 4 of them are nelli's and 1 for 'lina. The eggs are pretty small and I am hoping that as the chickens continue to grow and they gain experience as egg layers the eggs will get bigger! These 5 eggs still may not be enough for a breakfast for 2.


No comments: