Monday, August 1, 2011

My First Bundt Cake...EVER

Due to my lack of interest and mainly my lack of experience in the kitchen it is really hard for me to get motivated to cook or bake, Thankfully Scott is a natural cook so I don't have to worry about living off of chicken nuggets or canned foods for the rest of my life (It's sad, I know). So in an attempt to gain experience and motivation to maybe want to cook in the future I decided to make a cake from some Lemon cake mix I had bought a while back. This would be the first cake I had ever baked by myself and only the second cake I had ever made in my whole 21 years of living. (Sad again, I know) So since my Grandma gave my this cool bundt pan I decided I'd make it a bundt cake.
Since there wasn't much to the whole cake in a box, I decided to actually make the icing myself from a combination of recipes I had found online. After tasting and adding a little more of this and a little more of that. I have to say it wasn't bad for my first time ever making something without step to step instructions! Here's the my lemon Icing recipe:
  • 2 cups of confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 stick or 1/2 cup of butter
  • 3 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup of milk (or to preferred consistency)

Unfortunately I was to impatient to wait for the cake to fully cool off before trying to remove it from the pan resulting in a split cake. Thankfully the icing hid most of the imperfections and also helped glue it back together. In the end I learned my lesson and the Cake was delicious!

2 comments:

Mama Baer said...

Nice job!! Looks good! :) I'm not good at baking or desserts... But the only way you learn is from experience and practice and learning from your mistakes along the way. Scott and Matt can tease me all they want, but I think I've gotten much better at cooking over the last 10 years of marriage :) Also, they key is to choose easy things to prepare for just regular nightly dinners--good things don't have to call for multi-ingredients, steps or tons of preparation. I like things that you can whip up and bake or put in the crock pot! I don't like standing over the stove too often... I love putting something in the crock pot in the morning (that I've put together the night before and put in the fridge), going to work, then coming home and having dinner ready and the house smells so good.

Unknown said...

Looks great... Scott's lucky to be on the receiving end of it... I love lemon cake. And I agree with the comment about crockpots.... great way to have dinner ready, especially in the winter with a good roast or stew!