Tuesday, November 27, 2012

We finally have babies

When we first purchased Pebbles we thought she was pregnant but we were 100%. She is the one in the Green collar.

After a few weeks it became pretty clear she was. We built a bigger pen and tried to improve her environment but honestly had no idea what we were doing. It took a while just to figure out what to feed her. I never knew it would be so complicated. I started doing some reading about how to care for a pregnant goat and how to help deliver kids. It was all so overwhelming that it made me not want to read it anymore so I didn't. Then after some of the signs I was seeing this weekend yesterday I decide I better read up. I found a great post of a forum call Backyardherds.com that explained the process very clearly and did scare me to death like everything else I had read. I have been telling my buddy Eric all along that I just wanted to come home from work one day and they just be there. I really didn't want to have to deal with any vet bills or complications. Well I rushed home yesterday from work cause I had a feeling something might be happening and sure enough......






I didn't have to do a thing. I took my hut and wrapped it in a tarp and added some pine shavings and a heat lamp and they were all set. When I checked on them this morning mom and both babies were inside sleeping. Everybody seems to be doing good so hopefully there will not be any problems and we can train these two to be friendly and maybe one day we can get some milk from them for our own use.

No comments: