Thursday, April 5, 2012

Guineas are here!

The property we are moving to is covered in ticks. I have never been in woods as tick filled as these are. So after such a mild winter I had to do something. I want to be able to enjoy being outside and not have to cover myself with spray. My solution was to order a boat load of Guineas. I ordered 30 but will be selling 10 of them. I hadn't planned on getting them till this summer but I was looking on McMurray Hatcheries site and saw that if you ordered the guinea assortment you could get them now. So I did. The description of the assortment says "The varieties will be our choice but we will guarantee you at least three different kinds from this group: Pearl, White, Lavender, Purple, Coral Blue, Buff, Buff Dundotte, Porcelain, Opaline, Slate, Chocolate, Powder Blue, and Brown."

I like the idea of having a bunch of different colors. Hopefully these birds will live up the their reputation of being able to put a dent in a tic and bug population.

They arrived this morning and I could hear them chirping as soon as I walked into the Post Office. They are MUCH louder than chickens.

Here are a few pictures.

They were very loud and unsure at first.
After they ate and drank they all passed out.

The white and brown one is my favorite.

I don't know how they breathe when they lay on each other like this.


No comments: